|February 13, 2011|
|12:00 pm||to||5:00 pm|
Chicago’s Chinese Fine Arts Society (CFAS) celebrates the Chinese New Year with colorful, traditional music, dance and martial arts performances at Navy Pier’s Crystal Gardens, 600 E. Grand Ave., Chicago, on Sunday, February 13, 2011 from 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Navy Pier’s Chinese New Year Celebration is a part of the Neighborhoods of the World series, Sundays, Feb. 6 – Apr. 3, 2011, in the Crystal Gardens.
These Free Public Performances will feature:
- Lion Dance and Martial Arts by the Chicago Chinese Cultural Center Lion Dance Troupe
- Chinese Fine Arts Society’s Chinese Instrument Ensemble featuring YuQi Deng (GuZheng), Erhu: Alexander Li (Erhu), Kerry Leung (Bamboo Flute) and Brent Roman on Yangqin. GuZheng, Erhu, and Yangqin are traditional Chinese instruments.
- Jin Qiu Yue Dance Studio featuring students of Northwestern University, members of Little Star Dance Troupe, Flying Fairies Dance Group, and Oak Park Daughter’s Dance Group
- Bei Dou Kung Fu All Stars
- Peking Opera excerpt
- Hakka Dance Troupe led by Rei Ling Chang
- CFAS Chorus, under the direction of Lori Ho
- Shadow Puppet Show led by Lori Ho
- The Magical Strings of Youth of the Betty Haag Academy of Music
- Fashion Show including traditional Chinese costumes from various dynasties
CFAS is dedicated to the presentation and promotion of Chinese Cultural Arts. By offering high quality professional performances of traditional and contemporary music compositions by Chinese and western composers, Chinese music on both traditional and western instruments, and Chinese dance and martial arts, CFAS seeks to reach a broad range of people and heighten their awareness of the richness of Chinese culture.